June 24, 2016

Choosing the Right Perfume

I have always been a fan of anything scented since I was a little kid. When I was younger, I was obsessed with scented soaps then, I used to just hold the soap under running water until the soap disappeared slowly in my hands. I was very amused and continued doing that until Mom found out and Mom changed from soap to liquid body shower in my bathroom. I eventually got over that phase after I found out that perfumes and body sprays exist. After exploring Mom's vanity table, I started to secretly spray Mom's Dior every time after I shower. But when Mom was confused why her perfume ran out so fast, I just kept quiet and gave her the innocent "how should I know" look. *Hi Mom. I know you're reading this and I'm sorry hehe*

After all those years, I am still pretty much obsessed with scents. Be it candles, body lotions, sanitizers, wet tissues or perfumes. You name it. As long as it smells good to my nose, I love it. I collect perfumes and body mists and wear different scents according to my outfits and my mood. Sometimes I go for sweet scents, sometimes I go for fruity scents. But most of the part I will go for the latter because there's just something about fruity scents that appeal to me. It's more "me", if you know what I mean.

Because of my obsession towards scents, I am always on the look out for new body sprays and perfumes. I have a tray full of different perfumes in my room. Sometimes I buy the perfume for the scent which is normal but you know, these days perfume packaging are so adorable that I can't resist buying even if the scent isn't my cup of tea. As long as the bottle looks nice in my perfume collection, that's good enough for me. This habit is bad, I know. Perfumes can be pricey and it's not good that I buy for the purposed of having the pretty bottles on my vanity table instead of actually putting the perfume to use. Note to self : I need to stop buying pretty perfumes!

Being a fan of perfumes, with my wedding coming soon, of course I want to add  a perfume set on my dulang hantaran. It's like, a no brainer. I am still on the look out for the right perfume. So far I've seen pretty bottles but decided against it because I know not to make a decision based on the packaging. I also came across some pretty nice scents but the bottles just don't make the cut to be on my dulang! I need a nice bottle and a nice scent that screams ME! I thought I wanted to go back to one of my favorite scents but I feel like, this is a special occasion, so of course I want to try a different brand, a different smell. But here are some of my favorite scents that I've grown to love over the past few years :


Taylor Swift Wonderstruck



This perfume is soooooooo sweet, I can almost taste the sweetness in my mouth. When I first bought this bottle, it was because I love Tay Tay and being typical fan girl that I am, of course I bought her perfume! I actually bought it without smelling it first. That's how obsessed I am with Taylor. Hehe. When I got home, I smelled the perfume and the rest is history. It's safe to say that I might like the perfume more than Taylor Swift, that's how much I love the scent!


Viva La Juicy


This is another purchase that I made not because of the scent at first. If you have been reading my blog for a while, you'd know how much I love Juicy Couture. I actually felt lost when Juicy Couture shut its doors in Malaysia a couple of years ago. It was such a sad m  oment for me! That was the reason why I bought my first bottle of Viva La Juicy. The scent was too strong for my liking but then I guess the scent grew on me because I started to like the scent more and more every time I wear it. Now I'm on my third bottle already but because of the strong scent, I often choose to wear it when I have dinners or events that suit the strong scent.  

Victoria Secret Pure Seduction

This is my signature scent. Like, if you are around me a lot, you would know that Pure Seduction is so "Ayeen". My family and friends already recognize this scent. There was this one morning, I came to the office earlier than usual. I went into the office and went straight to my desk. As I was doing my work, the cleaner came up to me and said "Adik, kalau adik datang saya sudah tahu sebab bau adik ini sangat manis" (Translation : I know it was you when you came in because of your sweet smell). See how this scent has become a part of me? Haha.

Because I know these three are always in my collection, I want something different on my hantaran. Which is why I couldn't and haven't decide what perfume I want to choose. However, I just thought of sharing a few tips before you decide to buy a perfume.


I didn’t know there’re something about fragrance that is called perfume terminology – something useful to determine types of perfume such as absolutes, note, eau de cologne, eau de toilette, eau de parfum and perfume. In fact there is other terminology to describe scent families. For women there are citrus, fresh, floral, oriental, sweet, wood and spice. Perfumes for men include those and other masculine scents like leather, musk and mosses. This is where I noticed in which category of the scent families am I always attracted to and this has helped me to save a lot of time at the store by eliminating perfumes within the scent families I don't like.

A friend of mine told me to keep a few different perfumes from different fragrance families. To be honest it is kind of fun to switch up my signature scent according to different time of season, occasion or even my mood. For example, sweet floral during the daytime and something spicy at night for a dinner date.This is where my Viva La Juicy came in. Since the scent is stronger for my liking, I always opted that scent when I have dinners or events at night.

Perfumes do react differently depending on who is wearing it because of our unique body chemistry. Before you get a new bottle try to spray it on a card first and smell it again after a few minutes. If you are okay with the smell then spray it on your skin to be sure. Plus you need to take your skin type into account because it can effect on how long it will last. Not just that, it is very important for you to know that the scent of your perfume does speak for you personality. So you might want to get the latest selection of perfume online that shows of your style, taste and personality.

Here are some recommendations :







Kiehl’s Aromatic Blends Orange Flower and Lychee Fragrant Body Spray, L’eau D’hiver Editions de Parfums  Frederic Malle, Atelier Cologne Oolang Infiniti Cologne Absolue.








Tom Ford Café Rose Eau de Parfum, Byredo Black Saffron Eau de Parfum










Les Exclusifs de Chanel Bel Respiro, Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay Cologne



What is your favorite scent? Share with me and I might choose your favorite scent to be on my dulang.
Help a girl out because I really am spoiled with choices. There are too many choices and I'm getting confused which suits me the most!

1 comment:

maria said...

Wow. That's really nice. I really nice Viva La Juicy perfume.